Zhytomyr Art Museum
The Zhytomyr Regional Museum of Local Lore is one of the oldest museum institutions in Ukraine, founded in the second half of the 19th century. In 1865, museum workers rallied around the Volyn Provincial Statistical Committee, creating a well-known collection of minerals. This collection grew rapidly through the efforts of scholars, local historians, and collectors, and was preserved and exhibited in the public library until 1911.
The art department of the museum was created in 1919 and includes parts of nationalized private collections, among which the most famous are the collections of the Barons de Chaudoire and Ilinsky-Stecsky. The works of the leading art schools of Europe, including Italy, France, Holland, Poland and Austria, are presented here. The museum holds scientific and local history conferences and various scientific and educational events, such as memory lessons, creative meetings, thematic evenings, literary and artistic holidays.